Friday, April 14, 2006

The untitled Legacy

4 comments
Here's a little something that i wrote.

Screen with funeral going on and appropriate sound effects
Funeral scene:

Priest:
We are gathered here, brothers and sisters...
to celebrate the life of *gesture towards screen*
He passed away after a long struggle with sickness
and leaves behind a wife and two young children.
We offer our condolences
and pray for his soul
that his sins be erased
and his soul rest in peace
*sigh and shake head*

Doctor:
He was another one of my patients
another one that died from AIDS
HIV is one of the biggest social, economic and health challenges in the world.
It is a global emergency claiming over 8,000 lives every day.
In fact 5 people die of AIDS every minute.
A person infected with HIV does not have AIDS
until the virus seriously damages their immune system,
making them vulnerable to a range of infections,
some of which can lead to death.
if you have to have sex, then use condoms
but The best way to stop HIV is to practice abstinence

Social Worker:
He was a friend of mine
I tried my best
but there's only that much that i can do
there are only four ways you can become HIV positive,
which is through blood, semen, vaginal secretions and breast milk.
But you cannot get HIV by shaking hands,
sharing cutlery, using the same cup, giving a hug
and being a friend...
You'll be amazed at how people behave towards HIV sufferers
HIV sufferers are just like u and i, just that they're sick
HIV and AIDS don't affect just those who have the virus,
but also affects the friends and families too.
We need to offer our support wherever we can

Wife:
He was my husband.
How could he?
How could he do this to us?
He said he loved me, loved our kids
Instead he was loving every other woman in sight
Is it so bad that i think that it serves him right?
He deserved to die!
For putting me through this hell
and shame
I can see the looks on their faces
I know what they're thinking
at least i can ignore the pitying looks
but i can't ignore the way they treat my kids
The other parents don't want their kids to play with mine
And worse of all, i don't even know whether he passed the virus to me
How am i going to deal with this?
How? HOW?
Its *point to screen* all HIS FAULT!

The other woman:
*hides face in shame*
He was my lover.
At least i thought he was.
I didn't know he had a wife and kids.
I feel terrible for ruining their family.
I see her kids running around over there.
Oh God, what have i done...
I deserve this disease that he passed on to me
I deserve it!
*touches stomach*
Now i can only hope and pray that our child is safe...
i can only hope...

The victim:
There's my darling wife and my beautiful children
There's my doctor
There's my pastor
There's the social worker who tried her best to cheer me up during the last days of my life
There's that woman i spent a few nights with...
Is that me?
I caused all this pain
ME
I didnt think of what would happen
I didnt consider the consequences
I just thought of myself, my own pleasures
And now i leave a legacy
not of good fortune, good living and a good name
but disease, embarrassment and shame
I wish i could erase all that happened
but its too late
And all my loved ones will suffer for what i did

Wrap up:
We tried to think up a humourous sketch to catch your attention
but we couldnt
Because HIV and AIDS is a serious thing

Priest: It's a sin
Doctor: Don't become another statistic
Social Worker: Abstinence is the best protection
Wife: Think of your family, your kids...
The other woman: If you're gonna have sex, practice safe sex
Victim: Because DEATH is the only cure to this disease.

The end

4 comments :

  1. this is cun lah. wud u mind if i shared it with my class? i 'll put ur name at the end as patent....

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure thing...no problem im not too hung up on these patent thingies...i believe if a message is meant to be shared, it doesnt matter who wrote it, as long as it gets heard

    ReplyDelete
  3. eleh...so diplomatic

    ReplyDelete
  4. nah...just that i dont like all these arguing over things like patent shit...wasting my time mar...

    ReplyDelete