Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Ep1 : Singapore, Here i come!

Leave a Comment
All my bags are packed, i'm ready to go...

14.August.06
And so i took the Ekspres Senandung Malam out to Singapore.
Ding ding ding ding... We regret to announce that due to derailment between Bukit Timah station and Tanjung Pagar station, trains headed to Singapore will be stopping at Woodlands.
But thats fine, i wasn't gonna let that stop me. I was going no matter what.
And so i said bye and got on the train.

[On the train]
Mum smses and asks me whether i'm seated next to a hunk or a punk.
Well, it was an indian man who smelt of sweat and other oils. I think i would have preferred a punk anytime. Couldn't sleep, the smell was too pungent.
so i drew some reflections into my sketchbook...
Just stared out the window and admired Malaysia in the dark.
It started getting really cold so i stuffed my hands into some socks.
It seemed almost never ending, this train ride.
But as all good things must come to an end, so is the same with bad things.
Thank God!

15.August.06
[At the train station]
We stopped at Woodlands Checkpoint as said before.
Waited behind a long line of tourists to get my passport stamped and allowed into the little island.
I tried to get directions to the nearest MRT station but apprently only those who speak in Mandarin only get up that early in the morning.
It was 7.15am.
So i hopped in a cab, and told the driver to take me to the nearest MRT station.
He dropped me off at Marsiling.
$5.40 for that few minutes.
I swore not to take another cab in Singapore unless absolutely necessary.

[At the MRT station]
I purchase an Ezlink card and top up $10 and i'm off to Bugis.
In the MRT, it's packed with people getting to work so i had to stand, bags and all.
Stop at Bugis.
I head straight for the Backpacker's place.
I got abit lost though, cos i was looking for Hylam street and Bugis Street but i didn't realise that the streets were in Parco Bugis Junction itself. The building was built around the street.
So once i got that, i found the place no problem.
It wasn't heaven, but it was enough for my aching feet.
Just a bed, a locker, a foot locker and a good clean toilet. All i really need anyway.
I checked in, paid for my four nights and had a rest.
[9.00am]
I got up, washed up and left to see Singapore!

[First Stop: Raffles Hotel]
The Grand Dame of Singapore. Apparently it was
the retreat and source of inspiration for many writers and movie stars, including Somerset Maugham, Rudyard Kipling, Joseph Conrad and Charlie Chaplin. I read about it all in the Museum within the Hotel. The Singapore Sling was created here, i'm told. Now its filled with top brand names like Louis Vuitton and Tiffany & Co and other shops like that. Looked tempting but its not within my price range for shopping -.-

I love their windows, they have lots of these shutters everywhere. If they're not french style windows then they're shutters.







They have many many murals on the walls of circus acts like the one above. They also have murals that makes it seem like you're standing on a balcony staring out at a beautiful scene. I couldn't take a good picture of those though, because there wasn't enough room to maneuvre.

[Next stop: Singapore Art Museum]
I couldn't take pictures here but i did some sketches. There was an exhibition of 8 local artists that made it big, i think they're deceased now. It was called, 'The Art of Our Time'. I've often wondered why artist's work get more notice after they die. I still have yet to find out why.

A couple of particular artists that caught my attention were Liu Kang and Georgette Chen. These two focused on portraits and the human body, which are my favourite subjects for paintings. Georgette favoured oils on canvas, whereas Liu Kang loved to sketch with pencils and pens but also used oils. I don't know, i don't get the thing with oils, i prefer the usual paints, acrylics and such. Its said that oils are a whole lot more difficult to use, especially cos they don't blend as well.

[3rd Stop: CHIJMES]
I was wondering why the heck the Singaporeans must be so unique and can't just put CHIMES as its pronounced but must add a J. Then i found out that it's short for Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus. So actually the CHIJ has most meaning, and the MES is added on. This place was cool, really beautiful. Such a nice atmosphere to eat in. The little shops selling souvenirs and little knick-knacks are also quite cute although the prices are to slaughter the tourists.

One thing about the place is that it has fantastic stained glass. Actually come to think of it, all the churches and more have fantastic stained glass. It's like a necessary thing.

It was raining all through the afternoon and i was tired. So i decided to go back to the hostel and call it a day.

Back at the hostel, i had a lot of time to think and reflect about the day gone by. I was amazed by cars that stopped for pedestrians. Here, pedestrians rule and drivers drool. They have such a good system of transportation that people don't need to buy cars, they can just hop on the MRT or the buses and get to wherever they wanna go so easily.

I also noticed the Ipod Generation. Everywhere i turn, especially at the MRT stations, there's all sorts of earphones stuck in people's heads. It's cool, i do it sometimes too. Especially if i'm alone. I even counted the number of people from City Hall station to Bugis station, which is only a station away and after 50 i stopped counting. PSP here, ipod there, mp3 player there, walkman phone somewhere else... I felt so bare cos i left my canggih phone behind and only took my old one with me.

I also realised that i feared my safety for nothing. Singapore's so safe. I should have just brought my phone and wallet. Almost no snatchthieves at all. Its like they don't exist. The crime rate is really low in Singapore. I'm starting to wish i stayed here now.

Anyway, its getting late so i showered and went to sleep.
Tomorrow will be a new day.


0 comments :

Post a Comment