Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

1 comment
A really good topic to write a novel on.

The back cover reads:

In my first memory, I am three years old, and i am trying to kill my sister. Sometimes, the recollection is so clear i can remember the itch of the pillowcase under my hand, the sharp point of her nose pressing into my palm...

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and injections to help her sister, Kate, fight leukaemia. Anna was born for this purpose, her parents tell her, which is why they love her even more.

But now she can't help but wonder what her life would be like if it weren't tied to her sister's... and so she makes a decision that for most, at any age, would be too difficult to bear, and sues her parents for the rights to her own body.

---------


Jodi Picoult is really an excellent writer. Her latest novel, Nineteen Minutes, is based on bullying and school violence and her other novels employ various other heart tugging everyday life issues. This particular novel was a
captivating story that just begged me to keep turning the pages, even though i've read this book two times over in the good few months i've owned it. The bitter end, a surprising twist that brings tears to my eyes. Don't take my word for it! Read it yourself.

1 comment :