Friday, March 12, 2010

a scene from Heroes that reminds me

2 comments
(Matt sits at the bar with his drink and pops a bar mix. The bartender walks up to him.)

BARTENDER: How you doing?

MATT: Well, I'm, uh --

BARTENDER: (thinking) It's a rhetorical question. Just say "fine" and order a drink.

MATT: Uh, fine. Whatever you got on tap.
(The bartender fills Matt’s order.)

---

This is common, no? People ask how are you, but don't wait for an answer or don't care to hear an answer. I prefer the "don't ask, don't tell". More honest that way.
At work i hear that a lot. "How are you?" "I'm good, you?" "Yeah, i'm good too." What kind of answer can you give to that sort of question anyway? "Well... I'm not really good." Would people ask why? Do people really want to know why? I doubt it.

2 comments :

  1. someone once asked me enthusiastically "Hey Melissa! How are you?!"

    As i was about to answer, he looked away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind listening actually. But people rarely do that. Heck I don't. You can't just tell people what a crummy week you had or stuff like that.

    So what do you say upon greeting then, after hello?

    ReplyDelete